Please join us for our next HReview breakfast seminar: *
Bill 148: It’s Now The Law! What It Means for Employers
In June 2017, the Ontario Government introduced An Act to amend the Employment Standards Act, 2000 and the Labour Relations Act, 1995 and to make related amendments to other Acts, referred to as the “Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017” (“Bill 148”).
Bill 148 introduces significant amendments to Ontario’s Employment Standards Act and Labour Relations Act, and limited amendments to the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Many amendments will come into force on January 1, 2018, and some as early as November 2017.
Key amendments include:
Employment Standards Act
- Increased minimum wage
- Equal pay for part-time, contract and assignment employees
- Pay for on-call and cancelled shifts
- Increased vacation and public holiday pay entitlement
- Enhanced personal emergency leave
- Expanded parental and pregnancy leave entitlement
- Heightened enforcement and penalties
Labour Relations Act
- Card-based certification in specific industries
- Union access to employee lists for organizing efforts
- First collective agreement mediation/arbitration
- Enhanced just cause protection post-certification and during strike/lockout
- Expanded successor rights
Join us to learn more about these significant amendments and how to comply.
(Breakfast at 7:30 a.m.; program at 8:00 a.m.)
We look forward to seeing you!
* Law Society of Upper Canada CPD Credits: This HReview Seminar may be applied toward general CPD credits.
* HRPAO CHRP designated members should inquire at www.hrpa.ca for certification eligibility guidelines regarding this HReview Seminar.