Please join us for our next HReview breakfast seminar: *
Missing in Action:
Managing Planned and Unplanned Workplace Absenteeism
Each year, the average full-time employee in Canada is absent from work approximately nine days. Some absences are for a day or two, while others last considerably longer. Left unmanaged, absenteeism can significantly and negatively impact the culture, morale and productivity of a workplace.
What are an employer’s legal obligations in connection with workplace absence and what can be done to minimize unplanned time away from work?
- Protected leaves of absence under the Employment Standards Act, 2000.
- Human rights considerations when addressing absenteeism.
- Are there special rules in a unionized environment?
- Culpable vs. non-culpable absences – are they treated differently?
- Communicating with an absent employee, including obtaining appropriate medical information.
- When may an employer discipline or terminate for absenteeism?
Tips to Reduce Absenteeism
- Attendance management policies – what to consider when preparing your own.
- Changes to schedules and work locations.
- Attendance awards and other incentives.
(Breakfast at 7:30 a.m.; program at 8:00 a.m.)
75 Derry Road West, Mississauga
We look forward to seeing you!
* Law Society of Upper Canada CPD Credits: This HReview Seminar may be applied toward general CPD credits.
* HRPAO CHRP designated members should inquire at www.hrpa.ca for certification eligibility guidelines regarding this HReview Seminar.