Please join us for our next HReview breakfast seminar: *
Privacy and Surveillance:
Understanding an Employer's Rights and Obligations
As arbitrators and courts continue to struggle to balance an employer’s right to manage its business with employees’ right to privacy, employers are often left wondering what they can and cannot do. Join us at this HReview, as we address employer rights and best practices in the world of privacy, monitoring and surveillance, social media and IT-related misconduct:
1. Is there is a "Right" to Privacy?
- Privacy legislation and its impact on your workplace
- Unique considerations for unionized employers
2. Employee Monitoring and Surveillance
- Can an employer monitor an employee's email, internet and smartphone use?
- When can cameras be used in the workplace?
- Surveillance outside the workplace - is it ever appropriate?
3. Privacy and Social Media
- What is an employer permitted to learn about a job applicant?
- Can an employer require access to an applicant’s social media account(s)?
- Is an employer permitted to act on what it sees on the social media account(s) of an existing employee?
- Recent trends in discipline and discharge for IT-related misconduct.
4. Addressing IT-Related Misconduct
5. What does the future hold?
(Breakfast at 7:30 a.m.; program at 8:00 a.m.)
We look forward to seeing you!
* Law Society of Ontario CPD Credits: This HReview Seminar may be applied toward general CPD credits.
* HRPAO CHRP designated members should inquire at www.hrpa.ca for certification eligibility guidelines regarding this HReview Seminar.